Box 20 Folder 3
Correspondence folders contain a great deal of information which
Stated plainly in 1973 by the Florida NOW state coordinator, a position which makes sure that local chapters operate in accordance to state chapter rules, that the oversight is loose. Karen Coolman explains that in her experience, "...most feminists shy away from "structured" stuff. The purpose of the statement is manly to keep us legal - a formality." The leadership during this time was hands-off in that it required the new chapters to adhere to a set of general guidelines, but "each chapter works out their own best way for doing things."
- Document 1 - This document contains several letters between Karen Coolman, Nancy Curtis, and Judy Lightfoot about convening Brevard County NOW. The topics discussed include national and state member mailing lists, national and state convenors kits, and expenses.
- Document 2 - Letter dated February 1973 from Nancy Curtis to Karen Coolman with updates about the newly formed chapter and conference updates.
- Document 3 - Letter dated May 1973 from Karen Shook stating her interest in starting a NOW chapter which would cover several cities in the Cocoa Beach area.
- Document 4 - Letter from Nikki Beare to Karen Coolman about a payment for bumper stickers for Brevard NOW. Undated document.
- Document 5 - Letter from Nikki Beare to Carol Partton acknowledging the check for bumper stickers. Undated.
- Document 6 - Letter from Karen Coolman to Carol Partton dated June 1973 acknowledging receipt of the check for bumper stickers.
- Document 7 - Letter from Karen Coolman dated June 1973 requesting Brevard County NOW take newly-convened Daytona-Ormond NOW as a sister chapter.
- Document 8 - This file contains four documents. The first is a letter from Betty Armistead to Karen Coolman dated July 1973 with updates about sex discrimination against state universities in Florida. The second is a letter from Betty Armistead to Ellen Morgan also dated July 1973 with updates about a sex discrimination complaint filed by WEAL. The third is a copy of a letter from Congresswoman Patsy Mink to Jerry Baker dated March 1973 discussing statistics of Florida university employees for a sex discrimination complaint. The fourth is an undated editorial by Betty Armistead about equal pay and sex discrimination.
- Document 9 - This file contains two documents. The first is an undated letter from Deanna Bartcher to Karen Coolman to request the newsletter and sharing other informational materials between chapters. The second is a response letter from Karen Coolman to Deanna Bartcher explaining newsletters and other national mailings.
- Document 10 - This file contains two letters. The first is a letter from Becky Berg to Karen Coolman dated August 1973 asking for help with the situation in Brevard county between the two NOW chapters. The second is a response from Becky Berg to Karen Coolman dated September 1973 explaining the chapter convening process and encouragement to remain level headed and "hang in there."
- Document 11 - Letter from Karen Coolman to Karen Shook dated September 1973 discussing the split in Brevard NOW and talking about conflict resolution of differences between chapter members.
- Document 12 -
- Document 13 -
- Document 14 -
- Document 15 -
- Document 16 - Undated letter from Deanna Bartcher to Karen Coolman about organizing to help rape victims in the community, upcoming meetings, ERA organizing, and local chapter updates.
- Document 17 - Undated letter from Deanna Bartcher to Karen Coolman with a recap about a convention and thanking her for hosting it.
- Document 18 - This file has several documents from Betty Armistead to Karen Coolman dated 1973. The first is a letter to Karen talking about chapter finances and fundraising. The second is a newspaper clipping of an editorial for an ERA party hosted by Betty. The third is a letter from Karen to Betty with fundraising advice.
- Document 19 - Member survey from West Brevard NOW asking about scheduling a meeting and interest in different activities.
- Document 20 - Short letter from Karen Coolman to Jeanette Blevins, Eddie Lashman, Betty Armistead, and Gwen Cherry. Coolman discusses campaign tactics and organizing efforts for ERA ratification.
- Document 21 - Lengthy undated letter from Betty Armistead to Karen Coolman with updates on ERA campaigns and commentary about political activism.
- Document 22 - There are three documents in this file. The first is an invitation dated October 11, 1973 to a party celebrating Eleanor Roosevelt's birthday hosted by Betty Armistead. The second is a flyer in support for Gwen Cherry's campaign for president of the University of Florida. The third is a newspaper clipping about expanding the student body at the University of Florida.
- Document 23 - Letter dated from Deanna Bartcher to Karen Coolman. Topics include the first meeting of the Brevard County NOW chapter, training for rape crisis hotline counselors, an upcoming self-defense workshop, and ERA effort updates.
- Document 24 - Letter dated October 1973 from Betty Armistead to Karen Coolman giving encouragement and to express support for Gwen Cherry's campaign for president of the University of Florida.
- Document 25 - Lengthy letter dated October 1973 from Betty Armistead to Karen Coolman with many updates about Brevard County NOW. Content includes fundraising for the chapter, coalition building in the community for ERA ratification, updates to the ERA legislation, and planning for an ERA rally in Tallahassee.
- Document 26 - Letter dated October 1973 from Betty Armistead to Karen Coolman discussing Gwen Cherry's run for president of the University of Florida, letters to the editor, a recap of an Action Party held by Brevard County NOW for the ERA, and the chapter's focus on rape in the community.
- Document 27 - Letter dated April 1974 from Karen Coolman to Becky Berg about expediting charter authorization. Although unlabelled, Coolman is most likely talking about Broward County NOW.
- Document 28 - Annual registration for Brevard County NOW dated February 1974.
- Document 29 - Annual registration for South Brevard County NOW. Undated, but most likely from 1974.
- Document 30 - Annual registration for Brevard County NOW dated January 1974. The document has been cut off during scanning.
- Document 31 - Undated letter from Karen Buckenmeyer to Karen Coolman expressing dissatisfaction with the Brevard County NOW chapter.
- Document 32 - Letter dated April 1974 from Jackie Frost to Karen Buckenmeyer in response to a request for convening a new campus chapter in Brevard County. See Brevard Community College NOW.
- Document 33 - Letter dated April 1974 from Becky Berg to members of Brevard County NOW. Berg discusses the close of the Brevard County chapter and the move to the remaining chapters in the area: South Brevard NOW and West Brevard County NOW.
- Document 34 - Letter dated April 1974 from Jackie Frost to Becky Berg. Topics include splitting Brevard County NOW into South Brevard County NOW and West Brevard County NOW. Frost discusses the relationship between the chapters and the national office.
- Document 35 - Letter dated May 1974 from Deanna Bartcher to Becky Berg. Topics include updates from West Brevard County NOW and an upcoming panel about discrimination.
- Document 36 - Letters dated November 29 and December 13 from Deanna Bartcher to Karen Coolman. Both letters are most likely from 1974. Topics include updates about local ERA organizing and coalitions, self-defense classes, and West Brevard County NOW chapter updates.
- Document 37 - Short letter dated May 1974 from Deanna Bartcher to Karen Coolman with updates to the newly founded West Brevard County NOW chapter and an announcement of the chapter's first newsletter.
- Document 38 - Newsletter dated May 1974 from West Brevard County NOW. Topics include ERA ratification campaigns for the 1974 legislative session, updates from People Against Rape, upcoming events, and a phone-in campaign to popular television shows to support ERA ratification.
- Document 39 - Letter from Deanna Bartcher to Karen Coolman dated January, 197?. The year was cut off when scanned. Topics include a recap of a ERA luncheon, self-defense classes, and an ERA coalition of other civil rights organizations in Brevard County.
- Document 40 - A letter from Deanna Bartcher to Karen Coolman dated March 1974 asking about recommendations for fundraising events for the ERA.
- "A Guide to the Records of the Florida National Organization for Women." George A. Smathers University. https://web.archive.org/web/20140620031527/http://www.library.ufl.edu/spec/pkyonge/FLNOW.htm Retrieved 20 Jun. 2014.
- Box 20 Folder 3 Document 1 p. 1