Box 21 Folder 11
From Florida NOW Archive
Documents in this folder detail the chapter's changing leadership structure, efforts for ERA ratification, and correspondence between the state office and officers.
- Document 1 - Letter dated September 1973 from Rachelle Aides to Karen Coolman sending an evaluation form from the Florida NOW conference and expressing Jacksonville NOW's intent to set up a coalition to pass the ERA.
- Document 2 - Letter dated January 1974 from Karen Coolman to Leslie Gustin talking about the Jacksonville Women's Center and Jacksonville NOW.
- Document 3 - Letter dated March 1974 from Betty Newcomb to Vicki Wengrow talking about chapter by-laws, rules for appointing new members, and a reminder to not restrict membership on the basis of sexual orientation.
- Document 4 - Undated letter from Karen Coolman to Phyllis Klock discussing a national meeting for all NOW State Coordinators where they drafted a 2 year plan of action for ERA ratification.
- Document 5 - Undated letter from Phyllis Klock to Karen Coolman declining her offer to head the ERA ratification campaign in Florida.
- Document 6 - Mail-in questionnaire from Jacksonville NOW. This document is most likely from 1978.
- Document 7 - Flyer advertisement for a Run for Equality sponsored by Jacksonville NOW in August 1978.
- Document 8 - Letter from Karin Rankin Sisk to Edna Saffy, Val Adams, and Martha Caines announcing her resignation from her position of president of Jacksonville NOW because of increased responsibilities in her personal and professional life. She indicates that she will remain an active chapter member.
- Document 9 - Newsletter dated 1973 with upcoming events, a letter from the president, updates from the state legislature, an announcement of a vacancy of the Florida State Board of Regents, a call for volunteers for the Central Crisis Center of Jacksonville, an event from Dade County Women's Political Caucus, and a treasurer's report.
- Document 10 - A letter dated November 1975 from Karin Sisk to Margaret Barovich giving her directions from Tallahassee to visit the Jacksonville NOW chapter.
- Document 11 - Flyer from Jacksonville NOW advertising for a speaking event with Margaret Barovich in December 1975.
- Document 12 - Newsletter dated May 1976 from Jacksonville NOW with information about a new investigation into Karen Silkwood's death, upcoming events, a letter from the president about activism, and a new hotline for legislative updates.
- Document 13 - Newsletter dated March 1976 from Jacksonville NOW with a letter from the president calling for more involvement, a calendar of upcoming events, and a call for members of the Jacksonville Girls Sports Council.
- Document 14 - Undated letter from Genece Minshew to Sheila Knaust with notice of a new chapter legislative coordinator.
- Document 15 - Handwritten budget for Jacksonville NOW dated September 22, 1976 for reimbursement for a campaign for ERA ratification.
- Document 16 - Letter dated October 1976 to Sharon Laird explaining the enclosure of legislative notes for a representative.
- Document 17 - Handwritten note dated February 1977 to Valerie Adams discussing ERA ratification campaigns.
- Document 18 - Letter dated March 1977 from Tina Slaney to Sharon Laird explaining the enclosed Thank-You cards for Florida legislators.
- Document 19 - Letter from Genece Minshew to Mayor Hans Tanzler asking about the vacancies in the Mayor's Advisor Commission on the Status of Women.
- Document 20 - This file contains two documents. The first is a response letter dated July 1977 from Genece Minshew to Nancy Mulea expressing anger over the Mayor's Advisory Commission on the Status of Women recruitment committee's discontent over reproducing an Talent Bank form. The second is the letter from Nancy to Genece expressing her unhappiness with reprinting the Talent Bank form in a Jacksonville NOW newsletter.
- Document 21 - Letter dated September 1977 from Genece Minshew to Sandy Roth and national NOW asking that the National Board Meeting be held in Jacksonville.
- Document 22 - This file contains several documents. The first is a letter dated August 1978 from Rebecca Berg to Janis Compton Carr explaining that her request to address a protest of the Jacksonville NOW officer election in 1978 at the State Council meeting was denied until other remedies had been tried by the chapter. The second is a letter dated August 1978 from Janis Compton Carr to Rebecca Berg as a notice of formal protest of the Jacksonville NOW annual election of officers in 1978 and a request to have these grievances addressed. The third is a letter dated August 1978 from Janis Compton Carr to Eleanor Smeal discussing potential collusion of standing officers and the chapter's election committee. The fourth is a letter dated July 1978 from Louise Warren to Jacksonville NOW members expressing her support for Genece Minshew for president and Donna Davis for vice-president. The fifth is a letter dated June 1978 from Donna Davis announcing her campaign to run as a write-in candidate for chapter vice-president and expressing her disapproval for the chapter infighting.
- Document 23 - Membership list dated August 1978 for Jacksonville NOW.
- Document 24 - Advertisement dated November 1979 and a call for volunteers to work on ERA ratification.
- Document 25 - Undated handwritten note to Genise Minshew from members of the Jacksonville NOW ERA steering committee.
- Document 26 - Newspaper clipping dated January 1980 discussing Genece Minshew's disapproval of the Jacksonville Mayor's Commission on the Status of Women.
- Document 27 - Statement dated January 1980 from Jacksonville NOW to the Florida state Governor's Commission on the Status of Women.
- Document 28 - Statement from Jacksonville NOW announcing a demonstration at the Florida-Georga state line for ERA ratification. The boycott in Miami is also noted.
- Document 29 - Letter dated July 1980 from Genece Minshew to Jacksonville NOW expressing her gratefulness for the chapter after visiting Miami NOW.
- "A Guide to the Records of the Florida National Organization for Women." George A. Smathers University. https://web.archive.org/web/20140621031527/http://www.library.ufl.edu/spec/pkyonge/FLNOW.htm Retrieved 21 Jun. 2014.