Box 21 Folder 2
This folder contains a large number of documents from Ft. Myers NOW spanning almost a decade of organizing. The collection of documents in this folder detail the convening of the chapter by Mary Baldauf in 1973, sex discrimination complaints filed with the EEOC, protests against the 1980 Miss USA Pageant in 1980 and much work on ERA ratification.
The documents end in 1979 and do not point to a chapter dissolution or stagnation in membership numbers.
- Document 1 - Membership, committee, and Task Force lists from Ft. Myers NOW. Undated.
- Document 2 - Undated document by Ft. Myers NOW. This is most likely a mailer sent to advertise for the newly formed chapter.
- Document 3 - Letter dated February 1973 from Mary Baldauf to Karen Coolman discussing local and personal updates.
- Document 4 - Letter dated February 1973 from Seena Givens to Karen Coolman with a personal introduction and Ft. Myers NOW chapter updates.
- Document 5 - Undated correspondence between the newly formed Fort Myers NOW to Karen Coolman and Florida NOW about an upcoming ERA rally.
- Document 6 - Personal letter from Mary Baldauf to Karen Coolman explaining her absence at a state rally. This document is most likely dated April 18, 1973.
- Document 7 - This file contains 6 documents. The first is a letter from Mary Baldauf to Karen Coolman dated June 1973 explaining her process of filing a complaint for employment discrimination based on sex with the EEOC against her employer. Mary also explains some recent events and actions by Ft. Myers NOW. The second is the undated discrimination charge filed by Mary Baldauf against the United Telephone Company of Florida for the violation of Title VII. The third is the written complaint from Mary Baldauf dated May 7, 1973 explaining that Title VII was being violated because the company failed to follow maternity rules and regulations, required women to submit to pregnancy tests before hiring, maintained sex-segregated jobs, and unequal pay for women. The fourth is a newspaper clipping dated May 16, 1972 with a blurb about available positions for women at United Telephone Company and Florida Power and Light. The fifth is an undated clipping of the company's compensation policy. The sixth document is a letter to Karen Coolman asking for more information about abortion in the Florida NOW newsletter. She also notes that Mary Ranney could be a potential convenor of an unspecified chapter.
- Document 8 - Letter dated August 1973 from Seena Givens to Karen Coolman discussing personal issues and updates from the Florida state legislature.
- Document 9 - Letter datedAugust 1973 from Karen Coolman to Seena Givens talking about personal experiences with depression and updates from her life.
- Document 10 - Undated letter from Mary Baldauf to Karen Coolman with an update from Fort Myers local politics, changes in the sex-segregated Help Wanted ads in the local paper, and censorship of abortion referral ads.
- Document 11 - Letter from Mary Baldauf to Karen Coolman dated September 1973 talking about the recent Florida NOW state conference, abortion self-help from a woman named Mirium, the appointment of a new ERA coalition coordinator for the area, and a meeting with the County Administrator to start a Commission on the Status of Women.
- Document 12 - Letter to Ann Scott from Mary Baldauf dated September 1973 asking her to send the national ERA newsletter to two women in the Ft. Myers news media.
- Document 13 - Personal correspondence from Seena Givens to Karen Coolman dated August, 1973.
- Document 14 - Correspondence from Mary Baldauf to Karen Coolman brainstorming ideas for a statewide campaign to protest building of a sexist sculpture in Tampa.
- Document 15 - Undated chapter response to Karen Coolman's request for chapter membership information. Possibly dated 1973, due to officer positions.
- Document 16 - Letter from Karen Coolman to the Lee County Commission dated January 1973 expressing her anger about the decision to not create a Commission on the Status of Women.
- Document 17 - Newspaper clipping dated January 1974 discussing the Lee County Commission's decision to not create a Commission on the Status of Women in the city.
- Document 18 - Letter from Mary Baldauf to the Executive Director of the Florida Commission on Human Relations dated January 27, 1974 asking to bring charges against the Lee County Commissioners for sex discrimination.
- Document 19 - Letter from Mary Baldauf to Mollie Brilliant dated January 1974 asking for assistance in establishing the Lee County Commission on the Status of Women.
- Document 20 - Letter from Karen Coolman to Mary Baldauf dated April 1974 with Ft. Myers NOW chapter updates.
- Document 21 - Letter from Lyn Morrison to Karen Coolman with updates from Ft. Myers NOW including officer election results, and questions relating to chapter events.
- Document 22 - Unsigned letter to Lyn Morrison dated July 1974 with mailing lists for Ft. Myers NOW.
- Document 23 - Newsletter from Fort Myers NOW dated August 1974 explaining the chapter's statement of purpose, a creation of a consciousness raising group, a survey for businesses on their compliance with Title VII, an upcoming dinner, and an agenda for the upcoming meeting.
- Document 24 - Letter from Lyn Morrison dated August 1974 explaining the results from a survey of local businesses and their hiring and promotion policies. The survey finds that "there is evidence of discrimination based on sex in many major companies in the Ft. Myers area."
- Document 25 - Letter from Jackie Frost to Lyn Morrison dated September 1974 congratulating her on the official chartering of Ft. Myers NOW.
- Document 26 - Newsletter dated October 1974 for Ft. Myers NOW with the mission statement, an announcement of the chapter newsletter, the upcoming Florida NOW state conference, ERA ratification efforts, a call for volunteers, and an agenda of the upcoming meeting.
- Document 27 - Flyer for the 1976 Winter Women's Camp on International Women's Day. This event was sponsored by Ft. Myers NOW and involved canoeing and other recreational activities, consciousness raising, and assertiveness training.
- Document 28 - Letter from Martha Smith to Margaret Barovich dated February 1976 with Ft. Myers NOW updates and a campaign to gain new members for the chapter.
- Document 29 - Undated chapter information card of Fort Myers NOW.
- Document 30 - Letter from Tina Slaney to Mary Lou Furst discussing a thank you certificate for a state legislator.
- Document 31 - Letter from Alyce McAdam to the members of Ft. Myers NOW dated September 1977 thanking the members for contributing to the Florida NOW state legislative office.
- Document 32 - Undated letter from Mary Lou Furst to all chapters of NOW calling for chapters to write in and report their complaints to the EEOC.
- Document 33 - Correspondence dated December 21, 1977 between Kathy Murphy and Rebecca Berg discussing access to the film How We Won the Vote.
- Document 34 - Letter from Rebecca Berg to Carolyn Zurek dated March 1978 expressing concern over the recent situation at a seminar for public education.
- Document 35 - Note from Brenda C. Carr to Becky Berg with updates about Ft. Myers NOW attendees to the National NOW Conference.
- Document 36 - June 1979 letter from Fort Myers NOW president Brenda Carr to Lee County Commissioners denouncing the plan to host the 1980 Miss USA contest in Fort Myers.
- Document 37 - Letter dated July 1979 from Brenda Carr to the Florida Department of Environmental Regulation, the City of Naples Division of Personnel, and the City of Fort Myers Personnel Department requesting the organizations to reduce the amount of job announcements or to pay a fee to be published in future Fort Myers NOW newsletters.
- Document 38 - Letter from Sheryl Fox to John Druffel dated November 1979 expressing anger over the advertisements by the United Way as highly inflammatory, mis-leading, and anti-choice.
- Document 39 - Newspaper clippings dated 1979 about a potential picket of the United Way by Ft. Myers NOW because of their donation of $20,000 to the Catholic Services Bureau, an anti-choice organization that worked as an "abortion alternative."
- "A Guide to the Records of the Florida National Organization for Women." George A. Smathers University. https://web.archive.org/web/20140621031527/http://www.library.ufl.edu/spec/pkyonge/FLNOW.htm Retrieved 21 Jun. 2014.
- Box 21 Folder 2 Document 4 p. 1
- Box 21 Folder 2 Document 7
- Box 21 Folder 2 Document 36 p. 1