Box 22 Folder 18
From Florida NOW Archive
These documents are from the newly formed chapter in Panama City and show the difficulties of convening a new chapter.
The items in this folder are not in chronological order, making it confusing to find the timeline.
- Document 1 - This file contains 2 documents. The first is a letter dated October 1973 from Jane Plitt to M.J. Miller about starting a new NOW chapter. The second is a letter from M.J. Miller to a NOW group in Chicago asking for more information on starting a new chapter.
- Document 2 - Letter dated October 1973 from Karen Coolman to M.J. Miller about starting a new NOW chapter in Panama City.
- Document 3 - Letter dated December 1973 from Melissa Miller to Karen Coolman about the Florida State Conference and starting the Panama City NOW chapter.
- Document 4 - Letter dated January 1973 from Karen Coolman to Melissa Miller about another person to convene Panama City NOW after Melissa stepped down.
- Document 5 - Letter from Melissa Miller to Karen Coolman dated March 1974 asking questions about the convening process.
- Document 6 - Letter dated April 1974 from Karen Coolman to Melissa Miller congratulating her on the first meeting of Panama City NOW and explaining the charter application process.
- Document 7 - Undated letter from Melissa Miller to Karen Coolman explaining that she has stepped down as convenor of Panama City NOW to continue her education. All communication is to be forwarded to Marty Sirmons.
- Document 8 - Letter dated October 1974 from Pam McCormack to Karen Coolman explaining the status of Panama City NOW and transfer of officer positions. She also talks about changing the name to Bay County Chapter NOW.
- Document 9 - Letter dated November 1973 from Jackie Frost to M.J. Miller giving her encouragement and more information about convening a new NOW chapter.
- Document 10 - Letter dated October 1974, from Jane Plitt to Pam McCormack responding to an annual report. It seems as though the organization struggled to retain members.
- Document 11 - Letter dated January 1975 from Jackie Frost from Margaret Barovich. The letter explains that Panama City NOW has gone inactive due to low membership and all at-large members will be directed to Fort Walton Beach NOW.
- Document 12 - Letter dated January 1975 from Pamela McCormack to Margaret Barovich explaining that Panama City NOW was unable to attract the minimum of 10 members required for chapter status and would be changing its status to "inactive." The 6 active members plan to meet to continue feminist action in an informal group.
- Document 13 - Letter dated January 1975 from Valerie Adams to Pam McCormack offering encouragement and volunteer help, if needed.
- Document 14 - Letter dated October 1975 from Jackie Frost to Jo Tuffs encouraging her interest in starting the Panama City NOW chapter again. Frost directs Tuffs to contact Pamela McCormack for more information on starting the chapter again.
- Document 15 - Unsigned letter dated December 1976 to "Marge." Content includes activism in the Panama City area and personal updates.
- "A Guide to the Records of the Florida National Organization for Women." George A. Smathers University. https://web.archive.org/web/20140621031527/http://www.library.ufl.edu/spec/pkyonge/FLNOW.htm Retrieved 21 Jun. 2014.