Box 23 Folder 13
This folder contains documents detailing the struggle that Peggy Jo Caraway had to sucessfully convene St. Johns County NOW and gain membership. Due to several factors, Caraway had issues gaining volunteers and raising funds for the chapter. After a year, there were only two active members and the chapter was running with no funding. There were about 20 members on the newsletter mailing list at that time.
It appears as though the chapter dissolved around 1974 and was unable to gain any more members.
- Document 1 - Letter from Pam Ahlen to Peggy Jo Caraway dated July 1973 making a comment on the many women in small towns wanting to convene new chapters.
- Document 2 - Letter dated July 1973 from Karen Coolman to Peggy Jo Caraway with suggestions for organizing chapters in small towns and offering encouragement to the chapter's executive board.
- Document 3 - Undated chapter questionnaire from St. Johns County NOW to Karen Coolman. It appears as though the only chapter members were Peggy Caraway and Alexis Cannon. This document was most likely from 1973.
- Document 4 - Undated mail-in questionnaire from members of St. Johns County NOW to Karen Coolman, most likely from 1973. The comments note that there are only 2 active members and chapter funds have been completely depleted.
- Document 5 - Letter dated March 1973 from Peggy Caraway to Karen Coolman talking about a toll free information line for Florida legislative updates.
- Document 6 - Newspaper clipping dated March 1973 talking about Peggy Caraway's trip to the annual national NOW convention and a short biographical sketch about her.
- Document 7 - Undated annual report from St. Johns County NOW to Karen Coolman, explaining that Peggy Jo Caraway was "The Eternal Convenor."
- Document 8 - Letter dated January 1974 from Peggy Caraway to Karen Coolman thanking her for her words of support and updating her on the status of the chapter.
- Document 9 - Letter dated April 1974 from Karen Coolman to Peggy Jo Caraway discussing personal issues and reaching out to "closet feminists" attending church.
- Document 10 - Letter dated January 1975 from Valerie Adams to Peggy Jo Caraway with personal updates and news of Adams' election to Assistant State Coordinator for Florida NOW.
- "A Guide to the Records of the Florida National Organization for Women." George A. Smathers University. https://web.archive.org/web/20140621031527/http://www.library.ufl.edu/spec/pkyonge/FLNOW.htm Retrieved 21 Jun. 2014.
- Box 23 Folder 13 Document 4 p. 2